Monday, November 5, 2012

What’s That Face? Emoticon Meanings

Emoticons are a big hit among those who are regular users of e-mails, chats, text messages, message boards and other means of communication. But how many of you have been constantly wrecking your brains to figure out that face your friend sent via instant messaging? 
 
There are numerous emoticon meanings and most of them, I am sure you are still unaware of. The most commonly used emoticons are for expressing smiling face and frowning expression. Emoticons, true to their names, make way for a simple and easy medium to convey emotions which otherwise, would be difficult to portray in black and white. 
 
Being aware of the different emoticon meanings is also essential when you are into using such characters in text messages, emails, chats, etc. For example, the meaning of emoticons such as :$ is used to express confusion or sadness, however, this is a less known and less used emoticon. To add to this, emoticons are best when used in an informal or lackadaisical environment. Now, you can, in no way, apologize to your boss saying "I am sorry", followed by a sad or a frowning face. And if you actually happen to do that, you yourself may turn out to be a frowning emoticon at the end of the day :(. 
 
Text Emoticon Meanings Explained
Here you go; this might come in handy for you;
 
 
Emoticon
Meanings
Illustration
:-), :-], :]
Smile
"Wow!"
:-(, :(, :-[, :[, :-<
Sad, displeasure
"Man, that was horrible!"
:-D, :D
Laughter
"What? The monkey bit your..."
:-o
Surprise
"What? You passed the test!"
:-@
Angry
"Why you little..."
:-\ , :-/
Confused
"Now what did I do?"
:-|
Indifferent
"You got a new house! So...?"
:-}
Sarcastic
"My my, you are the God of poor jokes!"
:-p
Sticking the tongue out
"Pssrrrhhhhh...."
;-), ;-}, ;-p
Wink
"Surprise surprise!"
B-)
Wearing shades
"Man you are some bright lady!"
X-P
Knocked out
unconscious or dead
"You killed me!"
X-D
Died laughing
"The donkey kicked your...."
:-*, :*)
Kiss
"This is for my cup cakes..."
o:-)
Innocence
"But I only stole a dollar!"
:-x
Annoyed
"Oh you again!"
:O)
Clown
"Let's party!"
:-~)
Ailing from cold
"Sniff sniff!"
:`(
Weeping
"My cow died..."
:-7
Smirk
"Yeah I am happy, you good for nothing fellow..."
*<|:o)
Santa Clause
"Ho Ho Ho.... Merry Christmas!"
:-9
Salivating
"Slurp slurp..."
*-*
Dazed
"My angel, you make me fly..."
:*)
Drunk
"This is your captain speaking!"
{ }
Hug
"Come here you cuddly duddly.."
:-)(-:
Married
"Yeah, just got transferred to hell ;-)"
<:3 )~
Mouse
"Squeak squeak"
O-\-<]:
Skateboarder
"Come, ride with me"
(:|
Tired
"Sigh, sleeping is so tiring!"
:-E
Vampire
"Grrrr, I am a vampire, grrr!"
|-O
Yawn
"It is so boring lying here in this lovely island with all these gorgeous ladies ;-)"
('')-.-('')
Bear
"Here's a gift for you!"
:-">
Blushing
"Gee, thanks!"
(-_-)
Boring
"Oh, ha ha! good joke!"
:=)
Orangutan
"You look like one..."
+<:-)
Pope
"Bless you my child!"
x_x
Dead
"Goodbye cruel world!"
O?O
What?
"What, you are a gay?"
x_O O_x
Punched in the face
"Take this, you canhead!"
:-)<>>>>>
Smiling with a tie
"Have an interview today!"
.)
Watching you
"I know what you did last summer!"
(_8-(|)
Homer Simpson
"Don't eat me, I have a family, eat them!"
:**
Returning kiss
"Here take your kiss back!"
:-&
Tongue tied
"Blah blah blah!.."
=====:}
Snake
"Hiss, I will kiss you!"
Q:-)
College graduate
"I want a job!"
[:-|
Frankenstein
"You.. Me.. Go .. Dating... Have ..Fun...zzzzzz"
|-|
Asleep
"Zzzzz"
~:\
Elvis
"Ain't That Lovin' You, Baby!"
$__$
Sees money
"Am I money minded?"
8)~~*
Frog catching a fly
"Hmmm.. tastes like chicken!"

In this table, or if I may say, emoticon dictionary, as you can see, there are all common kind of expressions you may think of. Also, you can slightly change the smiley face emoticon meanings, by using a semi colon instead of a colon. While, : represents the eyes, ; stands for a wink. I think it will take a while for you to learn and remember all these sym  bols and meanings. So, whenever you are confused about any of these meanings, :-\, drop in and leave with a smile :). Cheers!
dailymirror.lk
(Compiled by Jessica Lord)

No comments:

Post a Comment